Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Anatomy of a Yes Man

This is Ben. He's saying Yes to the Grim Reaper.

My name is Smitty. I'm 37, work as a designer in a Sydney ad agency, and I sit next to a Yes Man.

What's a Yes Man?
In this case his name is Ben, and he's a copywriter.

In addition to Ben's Instant Advertising Headline Service, and his less popular drive to resurrect the Long Copy Ad in mainstream advertising, Ben says Yes. Yes to every thought and idea that pops into his brain. 

His philosophy is: give an idea room to grow rather than immediately shoot it down.

Every day I sit in anticipation of hearing the exciting words: "howbout this for an idea..."

I'm more of a Maybe Man (or someone Edward DeBono would classify as a Black Hat), and generally reply with "the only problem with that is..." In this blog I will document each of Ben's ideas as it forms, and my deflative reaction.

If you like an idea, make an offer. And remember: Credit Where Credit is Due.

No comments:

Post a Comment